Egg salad is a classic breakfast and lunch dish. But really, it can actually be eaten at anytime of day. When I used to eat eggs, it was one of my favorite things to make because it was easy and tasted good.
With all the dietary shifts I’ve had to make over the years to improve my health (severe chronic eczema and food allergies), I can’t eat a lot of things I once did. And that’s okay, especially once a favorable replacement is found. Evolution and progress is a part of life — in fact it’s crucial. You’re not wearing the same clothes that you did as a baby because you outgrew them, right? Same thing happens with the food you eat and even the people in your life. It’s rough at the beginning of making any change in your life, but once you get the hang of it — it’s easy like Sunday morning! 😉
I’ve been wanting to post this recipe on my blog for a while and I’m glad that day has arrived! This recipe is FANTASTIC! I’m super pumped at how it turned out. It’s so mouthwateringly delicious that you won’t be able to stop eating!
Let’s get cookin’!
- 1 can (540 ml) cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup vegan (soy-free) mayo
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 medium or large basil leave, finely chopped
- Pinch of aromatic sea salt to taste (I used the Herbamare brand)
Herb & Veggie Prep: Wash your chives, basil and celery. Then, finely chop them. Set aside in a small bowl.
Chickpea Prep: Thoroughly rinse off your chickpeas and strain them to remove any extra water. Place the rinsed chickpeas in a larger bowl (you can use this bowl to combine all the rest of ingredients later). Take a potato masher and mash-up the chickpeas until the consistency is similar to mashed boiled eggs (see photo example below).
Now let’s put it all together!…
Take the large bowl with the mashed chickpeas and add in all of your other ingredients: Vegan mayo, mustard, chopped chives, chopped celery, chopped basil leaf, and aromatic sea salt (I used the Herbamare brand) to taste (or you can do sea salt and pepper to taste if that’s what you have in your kitchen). Mix gently, but well. Serve right away or put it in the fridge to chill.
Deluxe Vegan ‘Egg’ Salad Sandwich:
Toast 2 slices of gluten-free bread. Then apply sufficient vegan butter to lightly cover your bread. Wash 2 large basil leaves and 3 large sweet cherry tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into slices. Lay the basil leaves on to the toast, add a heaping Tbsp of vegan ‘egg’ salad (add enough to your liking of course). Then add the slices of sweet tomatoes. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread.
Cut in half and enjoy!!
– Chives: Low in calories (great news for your waistline!). Contains vitamins A, C (immune support), K (good for bone health), folate, fiber, copper, iron, manganese, zinc, calcium, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine and magnesium
– Chickpeas: High in protein and fiber. Aids in weight management/loss and digestive health. Many of the nutrients contained within such as calcium, magnesium, vitamin K, zinc and phosphate contribute to bone health
– Celery: You can eat the seeds, leaves and stalk! It’s beneficial to heart health, anti-inflammatory, low in calories, contains fiber, vitamin K, folate, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium and riboflavin. Celery aids in weight-loss and it’s good for digestive health
– Basil: This herb is in the same family as mint, rosemary and oregano! It’s good for the immune system, aids in stress relief, helps prevent diabetes, benefits liver health and contributes to healthy blood vessels. Basil is also anti-inflammatory, contains antioxidants, reduces pain and fever
Thank you for popping by my blog! 🙌 I hope you enjoyed this recipe. I’m SO impressed with how excellent this recipe turned out and how identical it tastes to real egg salad. I feel confident that your taste buds will be blown away by how fabulous this recipe version is.
Try this recipe for yourself and let me know how it turned out!
Leave a comment below! 🗣️
Peace & Love,